[tex-live] MacOS X + CJK

Jonathan Kew jonathan_kew at sil.org
Sun Jul 30 14:07:20 CEST 2006

On 30 Jul 2006, at 3:09 am, John Tang Boyland wrote:

> I like using emacs for CJK things since it is able go display CJK
> characters correctly, when (it seems) TeXShop doesn't know how.
> Perhaps if I install cyberbit ?

TeXShop displays CJK characters fine, using the fonts included with
Mac OS X. I'm not sure how well it would work with non-Unicode
encodings, though; I guess you'd have to explicitly set the encoding
of the source file (see Preferences and check the Help). If you have
the encoding set to MacOS Roman or something like that, then it'll
certainly have trouble.

A Unicode Chinese document in TeXShop typesets fine through XeTeX (or
XeLaTeX) with no special effort; just choose one of the Unicode-
compliant Chinese fonts included with Mac OS X; no need for special
packages to support different encodings, etc., it "just works".

JK