[tex-live] Where is the master control switch?

Ken Brooks kenb at rpath.com
Mon Jul 24 17:40:52 CEST 2006

Incorporating texlive into the rPath Linux distribution, I need to put
the texmf tree somewhere else than where tex expects it by default.  So
the question: there's all sorts of configuration in the texmf tree, but
what methods does it use to determine where the texmf tree is to begin
with?

When I try to run an ill-configured tex I get:

kpathsea: Running mktexfmt tex.fmt
/usr/bin/mktexfmt: line 331: /texconfig/tcfmgr: No such file or directory
fmtutil: config file `fmtutil.cnf' not found.

Is it normal to have a /texconfig directory at root level?  Or are
environment variables a more normal approach?  /texconfig may be what I
need to do.  Where do I go for the documentation of its contents?

Thanks to all,
Ken Brooks
rPath, Inc.