[tex-live] Ruby interpreter for Windows in the TeXLive distribution?

Sebastian Rahtz sebastian.rahtz at oucs.ox.ac.uk
Sat Jul 1 12:08:55 CEST 2006

Reinhard Kotucha wrote:
> I don't see big problems here.  Ruby, Perl, Ghostscript... provided by
> TeXLive are not modified.  Please correct me if I'm wrong.  If people
> have problems, it does not matter whether they installed it from the
> CD or downloaded it from somewhere else.

My understanding is that simple redistribution of untouched
binaries _still_ carries with it the obligation to supply source.

The law (I am talking about the UK here) is not entirely clear
about distinguishing between the postman  who delivers
a CD to me (who is a mere agent), and TUG which prepares
the CD distribution. But in the recent hoo-ha over Mepis
most legal experts seemed to agree that making up a CD
of software, choosing what to put on it, adding documentation
etc, constitutes a redistribution. You cannot say "oh just
get it from the source I got it from".

I speak with some shame here, since I have for several
years prepared CD distributions of Linux (remastered
Knoppix etc), and failed to meet the conditions.

Of course, I am not a lawyer; but we did consult
one of Oxford University's lawyers about this a few days
ago (after the Mepis news), so hopefully I am not
totally blathering.

--
Sebastian Rahtz

http://www.oss-watch.ac.uk