[tex-live] Ruby interpreter for Windows in the TeXLive distribution?

Fabrice Popineau Fabrice.Popineau at supelec.fr
Sat Jul 1 00:10:37 CEST 2006

* Giuseppe Bilotta <bilotta78 at hotpop.com> writes:

    > Computers should be no different: they are complex tools with
    > complex functionality that can do a lot of damage. No one should
    > be let near them without some minimal training.

No. This is not the current trend is business. I know that people here
will have reluctance to that, but the MS strategy is to sell packaged
stuff, from the pda to the multimedia box for home cinema or the cash
machine.

And MS want it but mass market consumers want it too. They want to plug their digital
camera onto their multimedia box and watch the slideshow. They want to
play games the same way they do on a Playstation. Etc. They want to read
and send their emails on their (preferably HD, plasma or lcd) tv set.

They don't want to be bothered with directories, command line arguments
or whatever.

This is the thing behind preinstalled OS. And from a pragmatic point of
view, I don't see any problem in selling PCs with preinstalled OS.

Try to imagine your (well recent) car sold without any software ? Do you
think people would be foolish enough to buy it ? Or your mobile
phone. Or your watch. Or etc.

This is the main reason why I think that the only real answer to a
commercial company is another commercial company and not the current
various open source and anarchical models.

Fabrice