[tex-live] Re: ConTeXt documentation in "commercial" products

Frank Küster frank at kuesterei.ch
Tue Jan 24 18:02:28 CET 2006

Hans Hagen <pragma at wxs.nl> wrote:

> � wrote:
>
>>You are aware that the Creative Commons Deed is just a wrapper around
>>the "real" GPL?  You didn't include it in mreadme.pdf, but on the
>>website (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/GPL/2.0/) it says:
>>

> a wrapper indeed, and if users want to rad the full thing, they can
> use their browser; i'm not going to add redundant code (read n pages
> of licence) to manuals and source code

There's not even a link to the "full thing", so I doubt that any judge
would accept that the GPL applies.

>>"This Deed itself has no legal value".  So it seems in your
>>(understandable) desire to make things understandable for mere mortals,
>>you went one step too far.
>>

> as you do, users can click; if i remember right, i even mention that i
> don't include the whole thing

Yes, you mention this, but one cannot find out what "the whole thing"
is.  There's a Deed for the GPL on Creative Commons' website, but also
there, there's no version information (except in the URL, but that has
no legal value either).  So a user cannot reliably find out which
version was on CC's site when you wrote your text.

Regards, Frank

--
Frank Küster
Debian Developer (teTeX)