[tex-live] svn timestamps too new

Karl Berry karl at freefriends.org
Mon Jan 23 23:46:14 CET 2006

Next svn question: turns out that svn does not store mtimes.  It stores
commit times, on a per-revision basis.  What this means is that all the
files in the tree have a timestamp of late December/early January
instead of their "real" modification time (years old, in many cases).

The "per-revision basis" means that, in practice, it's not possible to
fix the mtimes with the current tree.  In most cases I checked in
hundreds or thousands of files at a time, so I see little point in
"choosing" an mtime for all files in each set of committed files.

So, to fix this, I'd have to start over with a new tree, and commit the
files essentially one at a time, changing the mtimes afterwards.

My question is, is it worth it?  I'm inclined to say no, that we can
live with the checkin time as the "starting" mtime.  But I wanted to
mention it, so you-all weren't surprised when you saw the files were all
"new".

There will be some agony with the Makefiles, I'm sure, but I think that
can be dealt with.  (My next step is try a test build, anyway, so I'll
see how bad it is.)

Below is the mail from an svn person on which I'm basing this.

Thanks,
Karl