[tex-live] Directory structure

Zdenek Wagner wagner at cesnet.cz
Mon Jan 23 11:06:58 CET 2006

On Sat, 21 Jan 2006, Reinhard Kotucha wrote:

>   > OK. So fonts+macros are well deposed in generic/devnag . I can
>   > only add: do not put .fd and .sty files into
>   > tex/latex/devnag. That's the point.
>
> I don't understand.  Why do you want to put fonts to generic/devnag?

No, fonts must be in the fonts/... tree because updmap, dvips, pdftex and
other programs expect them to be there.

> And why do you want .sty files not to be in tex/latex/devnag?  They
> can contain arbitrary latex code.  I wonder whether all .fd files
> should better be moved to tex/generic because they can be used by
> plnfss.  Does Context understand .fd files as well?

No, we have LaTeX macros which will be under tex/latex/ and plain macros
which will be under tex/plain/. Remember that the fonts cannot be used
without these special macros and without the devnag preprocessor. ConTeXt
does not understand .fd files, font support is done in a different way.
However, I have never used ConTeXt and I do not know how to incorporate
Velthuis Devanagari into it. Maybe somebody else could do it.

> When .sty files can be used by latex and plain tex they should
> go to tex/generic.  But it is not the case for all .sty files.

The .sty file uses LaTeX specific features, they will not work with plain
TeX.

> If you want Tibetan or Arabic or Chinese or Vietnamese, just put the
> TeXLive-CD into the drive and select the languages you need in the
> install menu.  I don't think that people should care about fonts.  It
> should be obvious that the fonts will be provided.

That's what I want to achieve. TL works like that with Velthuis Devanagari
too, and always did so, but the directory structure on our CVS is
different. The same holds for the release on CTAN. It means that the
directory structure must be reorganized. Similarly, if some distribution
does not contain Velthuis Devanagari and a user takes it from CTAN, he or
she must manually copy the files to correct directories. Now we would like
to make the developers' work easier and less prone to human errors and
help those who take the package from CTAN. We plan to change the dirctory
structure on CVS and I disliked that documentation in TL was under
doc/fonts/devanagr... I think that doc/generic/velthuis would be better.
The users need not care where the macros reside if everything works, only
developers will care.