[tex-live] config files read-only on Windows

Paweł Jackowski P.Jackowski at gust.org.pl
Tue Feb 28 22:01:01 CET 2006

Hi All,

> Yes.  The Windows installer was developed and is maintained by Pawel
> Jackowski and Staszek W., who are both on the list.  I hope they will be
> able to fix the problem for next time.

Windows installer do not touch file attributes; they remains ro as they
are on CD. Although I like to have original config files somehow
proteted, must agree, that texmf-var should be editable. Staszek, Tomek?
What do you think?

> Klaus noted that he needed to do the Windows installation as
> administrator.  Maybe for the same underlying reason.

Don't think so. Cmdline installer needs rights to create tex-root
directory and copy files into it. Preparing system however (env
variables, meybe some tmp files) may need administrative privilages. Tomek?
--
Pawe/l Jackowski
P.Jackowski at gust.org.pl