[tex-live] Re: Re: [tug-board] Any news of DVDs ?

Zdenek Wagner wagner at cesnet.cz
Thu Feb 2 11:17:31 CET 2006

On Thu, 2 Feb 2006, Paweł Jackowski wrote:

> I spent a lot of time on optimizing. Installation from dvd could be
> faster from iff TL structure were changed a lil bit. When inst gathers
> files to be copied, large groups of files such as
>
> 	foo/bar/a
> 	foo/bar/b
> 	foo/bar/c
>
> are smashed to
>
> 	foo/bar/*
>
> AFAIR adding this feature was about 40% profit in speed. If all big
> packages were grouped in this way, dvd installation would be faster, but
> probably  not much faster... So if one is in hurry, please install from
> cd, that is fast enough I belive.

It depends on filesystem used. Some time ago I did a test on a computer
with dual boot OS/2 Warp 4 + GNU Debian Linux, i.e. the same processor,
the amount of RAM, physically the same HD and CD drive. I had to copy the
whole CD to HD. In Linux I used cp --recursive, FS was EXT3, in OS/2 I
used copy /s, FS was HPFS. In OS/2 copying took approx. 10 times longer!

I have now deleted the whole installation of TeXLive 2005 and installed it
again from the ISO image texlive2005-inst-20051102.iso on my HD. The
machine is:

processor       : 0
vendor_id       : GenuineIntel
cpu family      : 6
model           : 3
model name      : Pentium II (Klamath)
stepping        : 3
cpu MHz         : 233.866
cache size      : 512 KB
fdiv_bug        : no
hlt_bug         : no
f00f_bug        : no
coma_bug        : no
fpu             : yes
fpu_exception   : yes
cpuid level     : 2
wp              : yes
flags           : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca
cmov
mmx
bogomips        : 466.94

FS on HD is EXT3. I measured the times during installation, scheme was
texlive_full

Initialization of collections: 17s (before I got the prompt)
Copying files:               5:20
Unpacking zip files:         8:05
Fixing permissions:          1:05
Running mktexlsr:            1:00
Making map files:            4:48
mktexlsr after updmap:       1:07

The overrall time since pressing I <ENTER> to the prompt was 21:25.