[tex-live] Re: Re: [tug-board] Any news of DVDs ?

Paweł Jackowski P.Jackowski at gust.org.pl
Thu Feb 2 09:12:17 CET 2006

> The inst install just does unzip on the archive/*.zip files.  The live
> install has to get the file lists (from the lists/ dir) and then copy
> those files individually.  Thus it is (a lot) slower.

Indeed.

> I suspect it
> could be made faster if someone cares to invest time into it.

I spent a lot of time on optimizing. Installation from dvd could be
faster from iff TL structure were changed a lil bit. When inst gathers
files to be copied, large groups of files such as

	foo/bar/a
	foo/bar/b
	foo/bar/c

are smashed to

	foo/bar/*

AFAIR adding this feature was about 40% profit in speed. If all big
packages were grouped in this way, dvd installation would be faster, but
probably  not much faster... So if one is in hurry, please install from
cd, that is fast enough I belive.

Regards,
--
Pawe/l Jackowski