[tex-live] question about skak, special.map

Karl Berry karl at freefriends.org
Sun Dec 31 20:42:44 CET 2006

Hi Claus,

     /usr/local/texlive/2005/texmf-dist/fonts/map/fontname/special.map

I added the skak fonts (there are a few others) to the master version of
that file.

    and then removed the folder:
    /usr/local/texlive/2005/texmf-dist/fonts/tfm/public/skak

    But i do not know why. I would like to ask, which
    of the two things, helped?

There should have been no need to remove the tfm files.  Presumably they
just got recreated.  The special.map change should not really have been
necessary either, because the fonts should still have been generated,
just not put in quite the right directory.  Without seeing the actual
error messages, it's hard to say more.  Doubt it's worth going further.

By the way, as I understand it, the package skaknew has Type1 versions
of the fonts and modified (improved?) macros, etc.

Best,
Karl