[tex-live] test Images by ftp

Reinhard Kotucha reinhard.kotucha at web.de
Wed Dec 27 00:59:36 CET 2006

  > Hi, is it possible to compress the iso image (eg by bzip2)?

Hi Thanh,
we already considered this, but the inst image already contains a lot
of zip files.  If you compress compressed files the gain is relatively
small.

The best what Karl can do for you is to use 7-zip compression but the
gain will be only approximately 5%.

Here is the result of my investigations:

  http://www.tug.org/pipermail/tex-live/2006-February/009770.html

The only way to make the images smaller is to use a better compression
scheme for the packages.

Though a better compression scheme for packages might be desirable,
I think that some investigations are necessary before we discuss it
here.

The only thing I can tell you now is that vntex.tar.bz2 is 11.691%
smaller than vntex.zip.  Maybe this gives you a hint what can be
achieved.  12% is not very much.  I suppose that vntex is not
representative because it contains a lot of Type1 fonts.  zip is quite
inefficient if there are many small files.  Maybe better compression
ratios can be achieved.

Anyway, it's too late to change anything in this year's TeXLive.
Furthermore, it doesn't even make sense to discuss it here before
it is clear how much space we can actually save.

Cheers,
  Reinhard

Marschnerstr. 25