[tex-live] Binary names and TeXlive as the default UNIX TeX system

Frank Küster frank at kuesterei.ch
Tue Dec 19 13:10:56 CET 2006

karl at freefriends.org (Karl Berry) wrote:

> In fact, one thing in this regard that I am concerned about is the
> plethora of executables that are part of tex4ht, many of which have
> short (and opaque) names.  I have refrained from installing them for
> precisely the fear of path conflicts, but it would be nice to be able to
> install everything that Eitan intends.  Can you check the listing at
> rsync://tug.org/tldevsrc/Build/source/texk/tex4htk/ and see if any of
> the executables have conflicts?

usr/bin/mztext						    interpreters/drscheme
usr/bin/dblatex						    text/dblatex

dblatex is an xml-latex converter, the successor (more or less) of
db2latex-xsl, so it's very likely to be installed at the same
time. dblatex is also the name of the project, so we should probably ask
Eitan to rename this executable.

drscheme is an educational Scheme programming environment, but I have no
idea what mztext does.  Well, or rather, no idea what it's good for,
it's just a shell script:

#!/bin/sh
# This script was created by make-mzscheme-launcher

# {{{ bindir
bindir="/usr/bin"
# }}} bindir

exec "${bindir}/mzscheme" -N "$0" '-qmvL-' 'mztext-run.ss' 'preprocessor'  ${1+"$@"}

> (Even if they don't have conflicts I'm
> not sure we should install them, but it would be nice to know.)

I think they can all be accessed with mk4ht (or however the central
frontend script is called, I always forget).  And users who often need
one of them can copy the scripts from somewhere to their personal
~/bin/.

Although I must admit that when I first used tex4ht, I wondered why
there's no "oolatex", and I need to remember "mk4ht oolatex" or
something like that (you notice, I don't remember for sure...).

Regards, Frank
--
Dr. Frank Küster
Debian Developer (teTeX/TeXLive)