[tex-live] Fwd: Polish TexLive Stuff

Paweł Jackowski P.Jackowski at gust.org.pl
Mon Dec 18 08:23:09 CET 2006

Hi folks,

Karl:
> It's not my decision, but personally I see no reason why "the Poles"
> should have to give up a program name that has been in use for 20 years,
> especially because of a conflict with a proprietary program.  With
> standard TL, it's not an issue because TL binaries are installed in a
> separate tree and users can set their path as they wish, as Kaja wrote.
> Distributors mark it as conflicting, and, presumably users will do what
> they want.

That is exactly our point of view. (Sorry for voting as all Poles, but
it seems there are no other Polish voices in this discussion). I doesn't
matter what is older or more important. Let the user decide, but don't
simply replace one mex by another.

Karl:
> For TL, I will do whatever "the Poles" want, of course.  I see no
> overriding need to change anything.

Poles see no reason either.

> The history of MeX
[...]

Regarding the history of MeX; is was wrong saying that `M' comes from
METAFONT. There are .mf sources distributed with MeX indeed, but as the
authors told me, the letter comes from Mazovia, that was the most common
encoding standard these days.
--
Pawe/l Jackowski
P.Jackowski at gust.org.pl