[tex-live] hp progress, but xetex problem

Jonathan Kew jonathan_kew at sil.org
Tue Dec 12 19:48:08 CET 2006

On 12 Dec 2006, at 5:32 pm, Vladimir Volovich wrote:

> "TA" == Tim Arnold writes:
>
>  TA> Downloading the newest gnu make helped considerably. But I'm
>  TA> seeing errors related to XeTeX: If anyone has suggestions, please
>  TA> let me know.  thanks, --Tim Arnold
>
>  TA> xetexdir/XeTeXFontMgr.h:40:35: fontconfig/fontconfig.h: No
> such file or directory
>
> this should be self-explanatory ;)

:)

Just in case it's not.... you need libfontconfig installed,
*including* headers (which requires installation of a separate -dev
or -devel package on some systems; I have no idea how the HP
organizes this).

A possible complication arises if fontconfig gets installed somewhere
that isn't in the default directories for headers and libraries, such
as under /usr/X11R6 instead of /usr. Some distributions seem to do
this, unfortunately.

Currently, I believe you can use something like

   --with-fontconfig=/usr/X11R6

to tell the xdvipdfmx build where to find it, but the configure/make
process for xetex itself doesn't respect this. I need to figure out a
good way to add this in (it's part of the big texk/web2c build
process, which I don't like to touch if I can help it!). Meanwhile, a
workaround (ugly, but simple) would probably be adding symlinks in /
usr/lib and /usr/include, so that the files are found.

JK