[tex-live] Number of binaries, and another build error

Norbert Preining preining at logic.at
Sun Dec 10 21:27:03 CET 2006

Hi all!

How many binaries should finally end up in .../inst/$arch/bin? I did get
126 binaries:
afm2pl        cweave       gbklatex      mkofm     pdfetex       t1lint
aleph         detex        gbkpdflatex   mktexlsr  pdfopen       t1mac
bg5+latex     devnag       getafm        mktexmf   pktogf        t1reencode
bg5+pdflatex  dmp          gftodvi       mktexpk   pktype        t1testpage
bg5conv       dvicopy      gftopk        mktextfm  pltotf        t1unmac
bg5latex      dvipng       gftype        mmafm     pooltype      tangle
bg5pdflatex   dvitomp      hbf2gf        mmpfb     psbook        tcdialog
bibtex        dvitype      includeres    mpost     psmerge       tex
bibtex8       epsffit      info          mpto      psnup         texi2dvi
cef5conv      extconv      infokey       newer     psresize      texi2html
cef5latex     extractres   install-info  odvicopy  psselect      texi2pdf
cef5pdflatex  fixdlsrps    kpseaccess    odvitype  pstops        texindex
cefconv       fixfmps      kpsereadlink  omega     showchar      tftopl
ceflatex      fixmacps     kpsestat      omfonts   sjisconv      tie
cefpdflatex   fixpsditps   kpsewhich     otangle   sjislatex     ttf2afm
cefsconv      fixpspps     makeinfo      otfinfo   sjispdflatex  ttftotype42
cefslatex     fixscribeps  makempx       otftotfm  t1ascii       vftovp
cefspdflatex  fixtpps      mf            otp2ocp   t1asm         vptovf
cfftot1       fixwfwps     mf-nowin      outocp    t1binary      weave
ctangle       fixwpps      mft           patgen    t1disasm      xetex
ctie          fixwwps      mkocp         pdfclose  t1dotlessj

What puzzles me is that the build process is really messed up at the
end, as it asks for texi2dvi/tex:
make[2]: Entering directory `/texlive-src/Build/source/Work/texk/dvipng'
./mkinstalldirs /texlive-src/Build/source/inst/bin/alphapca56-unknown-linux-gnu
make[2]: ./mkinstalldirs: Command not found
make[2]: [install-dvipng] Error 127 (ignored)

First strange thing, there is no ./mkinstalldirs, seems a bit strange

/usr/bin/install -c dvipng /texlive-src/Build/source/inst/bin/alphapca56-unknown
-linux-gnu
texi2dvi -I ../../../texk/dvipng ../../../texk/dvipng/dvipng.texi
This is TeX, Version 3.141592 (Web2C 7.5.5)
I can't find the format file `tex.fmt'!

Uhh. What the hell ...

kpathsea: Running mktexfmt tex.fmt
mktexfmt: No such file or directory
/texlive-src/Build/source/inst/bin/alphapca56-unknown-linux-gnu/texi2dvi: texinf
o.tex appears to be broken, quitting.

Yes, so it is, definitely.

make[2]: [dvipng.dvi] Error 1 (ignored)
:  -I../../../texk/dvipng ../../../texk/dvipng/dvipng.texi
./mkinstalldirs /texlive-src/Build/source/inst/info
make[2]: ./mkinstalldirs: Command not found
make[2]: [install-docs] Error 127 (ignored)
for x in dvipng.info* ; do \
        /usr/bin/install -c -m 644 $x /texlive-src/Build/source/inst/info ; \
done
/usr/bin/install: cannot stat `dvipng.info*': No such file or directory
make[2]: *** [install-docs] Error 1
make[2]: Leaving directory `/texlive-src/Build/source/Work/texk/dvipng'
make[1]: *** [install] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/texlive-src/Build/source/Work/texk'
make: *** [install] Error 1

Ok, so that is what my questions come from!?! Do I have all the binaries
now installed, or did the install process terminate too early to get all
binaries installed?

Thanks for any comments

(PS Why did this happen: I have a chroot environment with minimal packages
installed, ie no TeX system, no nothing at all, only the necessary
devel packages)

Best wishes

Norbert

Dr. Norbert Preining <preining at logic.at>                    Università di Siena