[tex-live] Unclear License of AMSLaTeX

Frank Küster frank at kuesterei.ch
Fri Apr 28 23:02:18 CEST 2006

karl at freefriends.org (Karl Berry) wrote:

>     I think the text quoted above makes his wishes quite literal,
>
> Of course, but my point was that tex.web says something else.
> Just as there are plenty of statements about plain.tex, AMSLaTeX, etc.,
> but the actual files say something else.

Ah, okay.  Well, I'd just like to see a similar statement from the AMS
people.  Barbara's mail did, in principle, say this, but on the other
hand it was full of questions and "we'll talk about it".  I perfectly
understand that these things take time; but I'd really prefer to get a
clear statement finally.  And from what Barbara wrote, I assume this
will be possible.

>     Therefore, pdfTeX 1.40 has been promised to to not use tex.web at all,
>     but only its already changed version.
>
> Sorry, I fail to understand what that means.

Martin Schröder was under the impression that the habit of using tex.web
plus changes files was not just a habit, but actually a license
requirement.  After reading DEK's statement quoted in may last mail, he
said he'd changed his mind.

Regards, Frank
--
Frank Küster