[tex-live] TL2003+XEmacs/Win -->TL2005

Karl Berry karl at freefriends.org
Thu Apr 6 00:20:52 CEST 2006

Hi Peter,

    I had a call from a user who has TL2003 on Windows with XEmacs and wants
    to upgrade to TL2005. Is XEmacs for Windows included in the TL2005 DVD?

I don't believe so.

    If not, can he selectively delete his TL2003 installation except for the
    XEmacs, and expect it to work with TL2005?

Egad.  I don't know.  Of course XEmacs and TeX are independently created
and maintained, as I'm sure you know.  However, if he installed XEmacs
as part of TL 2003, it's possible that some sort of interdependency was
introduced by that install.

Perhaps it would be possible to install TL 2005 in a completely new
directory (without deleting anything) and then see if the old xemacs
functions well enough.  That would be what I'd try first, anyway.
(Saving the registry first couldn't hurt either; I don't know if TL05
Windows install affects it.)

If he does not need dvi support, he could install xemtex directly from
Fabrice's packages.

Hope it works out,
karl