[tex-live] Multilingual LaTeX: Greek, English, and UTF-8

Alexej Kryukov akrioukov at newmail.ru
Wed Sep 14 21:05:19 CEST 2005

On Wednesday 14 September 2005 01:22, W. Borgert wrote:

> Maybe I'm not adventurous enough for using omega now.

I understand :) I have intentionally presented things as bad]
as they are in order to provocate others to discussion.

> I just read briefly through the document.  What languages are
> supported?  Simplified (and Traditional) Chinese?  Arabic?

Well, I should admit I know very few about Arabic or Chinese.
Antomega is oriented to european languages with a special
stress on Greek and Cyrillic alphabets. I know that Omega itself
has a quite good support for RTL scripts, so I think antomega
can easily be adapted to languages like Arabic or Hebrew if
somebody helps me to do that. Of course you also need a Unicode
font covering all necessary characters, and this font should
already be adapted to Omega. AFAIK, an Omega-specific Arabic font is
already available in the default Omega distribution (and thus
also in teTeX and TL).

> As I'm only an end-user of both tetex and texlive, (how) can I
> just use antomega, e.g. by installing texlive?

You should install antomega as any other TeX package, i. e.
download it from CTAN, and copy the files (preserving their
directory structure) into one of your texmf trees. After that,
you have to rebuild the lambda format (e. g. by running

fmtutil --byfmt lambda

). Additionally, I have to warn you that currently there is a small
incompatibility in directory structure between antomega and teTeX/TL.
I hope this problem can be resolved soon, but for now you have
to edit manually search paths for omega and lambda in your texmf.cnf.
I hope there is nothing difficult in these operations.

--
Regards,
Alexej Kryukov <akrioukov at newmail dot ru>

Moscow State University
Historical Faculty