[tex-live] Multilingual LaTeX: Greek, English, and UTF-8

W. Borgert debacle at debian.org
Tue Sep 13 12:11:42 CEST 2005

Hi,

Quoting Hans Hagen <pragma at wxs.nl>:
> even if you would have a straight input -> font mapping, you still have to
> supply info about what you're doing / expecting. The simple fact that you
> refer to an (greek) alpha [e.g. using unicode] says nothing about what is
> expected: greek text (to be treated as greek), a greek character  used in a
> latin context, a math symbol, a physics particle indicator, etc. So, in
> practice, when you want properly typeset documents, an input source will
> never be (utf) chars only, but have structure / indicators as well, and those
> are to be/ can be used a trigger points for special typesettign features
> (like fon switched); also, afaik there are no fonts that cover the whole
> range of unicode, so some kind of managament is always needed.

That is right, of course.  In my special case it is simpler, because I
have a text in one main language (e.g. Greek) with only some literal
words (UNIX commands, URLs, ...) to be treated like English.

I think, I have to wrap the English stuff anyway, as it is necessary
for RTL languages (Hebrew, Arabic, Farsi) - the URLs still have to be
LTR.

Cheers, WB