[tex-live] (not urgent) TL 64 bit optimization

Tigran Aivazian tigran at aivazian.fsnet.co.uk
Mon Sep 5 12:22:06 CEST 2005

On Sun, 4 Sep 2005, Lars Madsen wrote:
> But the TL 2004 installation is just for 32 bit, so my question is whether
> the TL source actually has a specific target for 64 bit linux?

who told you that? TL 2004 has properly built (i.e. native) x86_64
binaries and it installs/runs on x86_64 just fine.

(I am assuming that by "64 bit linux" you mean Linux running on x86_64
architecture, as not many people are using Itaniums any more...)

> Basically the idea is that compiled specifically for this architecture it may
> even be faster.

TL 2004 is compiled specifically for this architecture and runs much
faster (Hans Hagen says 30% but on my machine it is at least twice as
fast, but I have a very "extraordinary" machine :) than running 32bit
binaries.

Kind regards
Tigran