[tex-live] (not urgent) TL 64 bit optimization

Tigran Aivazian tigran at aivazian.fsnet.co.uk
Mon Sep 5 12:27:02 CEST 2005

On Sun, 4 Sep 2005, Karl Berry wrote:
>  CFLAGS=-m64whatever Build

usually gcc is good enough to do the "right thing" without -m specific
options (as long as one passes appropriate -O2 or -O3 or so).

fine-tuning down to -m level will hardly win you even 1% extra
performance, compared to running native x86_64 vs 32bit emulation, which
is where the biggest performance gain was when I compiled the native
x86_64 binaries for the first time.

(Btw, I am ready to compile TL 2005 for x86_64 as soon as you email me the
procedure to get the whole sources)

Kind regards
Tigran