[tex-live] (not urgent) TL 64 bit optimization

Karl Berry karl at freefriends.org
Sun Sep 4 23:14:45 CEST 2005

    But the TL 2004 installation is just for 32 bit, so my question is whether
    the TL source actually has a specific target for 64 bit linux?

Not that I know of, but you can set CFLAGS before running the Build
script, which is presumably (at least most of) what is needed.
  CFLAGS=-m64whatever Build

    BTW: are there any standard way of testing the speed of (La)TeX and
    friends in a way such that one can compare it to other peoples results.

There was a recent thread on this list about just that subject with some
suggestions ... I'm not aware of anything canned or any reference
document on the subject.  Sounds like a good idea for someone to take up :).

Best,