[tex-live] Re: License of fonts included in X.org sources

Daniel Stone daniels at debian.org
Sat Oct 22 08:36:11 CEST 2005

On Sat, Oct 22, 2005 at 08:08:39AM +0200, Sven Luther wrote:
> On Sat, Oct 22, 2005 at 03:57:15AM +0200, Reinhard Kotucha wrote:
> > Yes.  Can TOG be regarded as the legal successor of the X Consortium?
> >
> > From
> >
> >    http://www.faqs.org/faqs/x-faq/part1/section-16.html
> >
> >  > Here is the text of the announcement posted by the Consortium to
> >  > comp.windows.x on 1 July 1996:
> >  >
> >  >      X Consortium to Transfer X Window System(tm) to The Open Group
>
> So you would say that TOG is the one who now has the right to the fonts ?

This is not necessarily the case.

The X Consortium transferred rights for the X Window System --
trademarks, copyrights on the code, et al -- to TOG as part of the
X.Org process, and then promptly disbanded.  The font grant may not
have been included in that.  Depending on the language, it may not
even be transferrable, so we may be stuck with the original
no-modification grant, given that the entity holding the rights to it
underwent a sudden total existence failure.

> > As a last resort, maybe Thanh can ask Adobe with whom of the X
> > Consortium they negotiated, maybe he can help.
>
> If nothing else, they must have a copy of the paperwork around.

And no, no-one can find the paperwork.

I'd suggest the best bet would be getting Adobe to re-grant those rights
to the X.Org Foundation.