[tex-live] Re: License of fonts included in X.org sources

Reinhard Kotucha reinhard.kotucha at web.de
Thu Oct 20 20:21:08 CEST 2005

  > Right.  As I said earlier, it's probably tied up somewhere deep
  > within TOG: no-one still involved with X today remembers this at
  > all.

Maybe it is sufficient to find someone at X.org who is willing to care
about the legal stuff.  It is a great advantage that Thanh found
someone at Adobe who remembers.

  > So, unless you really, really, really, really, really,
  > really need these fonts, it's not going to be worth the effort.

There are some reasons why it's worth some effort:

 1. There are not many free fonts designed by people who know how to
    design fonts.

 2. Utopia is one of very few fonts which can be used to typeset
    mathematics.  Math support for Utopia is distributed with TeXLive,
    but unfortunately users have to download/install Utopia
    themselves, which is a bit inconvenient.

 3. There are only very few fonts which support Vietnamese.  Thanh
    wants to provide a derived font with Vietnamese glyphs.  This, and
    the fact that math support for Utopia already exists, makes this
    font very usable for Vietnamese.

 4. Utopia is distibuted with X11.  Quite interesting for tex4ht
    (LaTeX->HTML converter) users.

 5. Debian people are quite careful about licenses.  Hence, it would
    be good if the Utopia license issue can be resolved.  It would be
    a pity if Utopia will not be distributed with Linux due to some
    license problems while it is part of any other UNIX derivate.

Regards,
  Reinhard

Marschnerstr. 25