[tex-live] Whitespace in file name with all but plain TeX fails

Karl Berry karl at freefriends.org
Mon Oct 10 19:27:03 CEST 2005

    pdflatex fails because it cannot find "v er.tex". TeX itself does
    find it OK.

Indeed, I confirm that
  pdfetex 'v er.tex'
works in TL 2004 and fails with the current TL pdfetex (both
i386-linux).  The error message is:

! I can't find file `"v er.tex"'.

as if two " characters have been added.

Unfortunately, this seems bad enough that we must fix it and make new
binaries before the release.  Hopefully it won't be hard to fix.  Olaf,
Martin, Hartmut, anyone?  (Regrettably, I will be offline starting later
today for the rest of week, so can't follow up myself right now.)

Thanks,
Karl