[tex-live] Re: tl2005 (0923) testing

Scott Pakin scott at pakin.org
Tue Oct 4 05:38:53 CEST 2005

George,

On Fri, 30 Sep 2005 09:14:25 -0300 (ADT), you wrote:
> 0) The usual \pdfoutput bug:
>
> %\ifx\pdfoutput\undefined
> %\else
> \RequirePackage{ifpdf}
> \ifpdf

Okay, I incorporated the ifpdf test into symbols.tex for the next
release.  (I'd rather not use \RequirePackage because I want to
require as few packages as possible.)

> 1) loops indefinately at line 3022:
>
> \Q\overarc & \Q\underarc \\

I just downloaded the TeX Live testing version and was able to
reproduce this problem.  The following is a minimal example which
loops forever:

    \documentclass{article}
    \usepackage{arcs}
    \begin{document}
    \overarc{H}ello!
    \end{document}

Interestingly, passing "[11pt]" or "[12pt]" to \documentclass avoids
the infinite loop.  The problem involves the interaction between
arcs.sty, which hasn't changed in a long time (if ever), and
relsize.sty, which has.  I still don't completely understand what
arcs.sty is doing but it looks like it involves iteratively searching
for some particular font size by repeatedly calling \relsize{+1}.  For
some reason, it's unable to reach its target when using newer
relsize.sty files.  If you're interested in trying to diagnose the
problem I can send you my local copy of relsize.sty (v2.0b, 1 Nov
1999).

> 2)
> ! Missing $ inserted.
> <inserted text>
>                  $
> l.4930 ...ftarrow{abc}       & \W\xRightarrow{abc}
>
> \W\xLeftarrow{abc}       & \W\xRightarrow{abc}        \\

I'm getting this, too, with the TeX Live testing version but haven't
yet had time to diagnose it.  (I'm still working on the arcs.sty
problem.)

-- Scott