[tex-live] Proposal for a tex-base package

Siep Kroonenberg siepo at cybercomm.nl
Tue May 17 23:55:57 CEST 2005

On Tue, May 17, 2005 at 06:55:50PM +0200, Norbert Preining wrote:
> Hi friends!
>
> I want to start a discussion on the usefulness of creating a basic
> tex-base package. Reason: I want to build the debian packages for
> texlive using the utilities from tetex. Frank once already suggested
> such a package, so here is a short proposal. I would like to hear some
> comments before I try out the whole stuff ;-)
>
> Proposal for a tex-base package
> ===============================
>
> This package should include the basic infrastructure for managing TeX
> systems on debian installations.
>
> ATM I would suggest:
>
>         /usr/sbin/update-{fmtutil,texmf,updmap}
>         /etc/texmf/updmap.d/00updmap.cfg
>         /etc/texmf/texmf.d/*
>         /etc/texmf/fmt.d/00tetex.cnf
>
> (anything else?)

I am not sure what you are trying to do. It would seem logical to
place a regular texmf tree with configuration files under /etc, and
maybe put the generated files in another tree e.g. under /var/lib.
The texmf.cnf from the teTeX sources provides for this.

Are the above files some sort of meta-configuration files? Then I
take it that your proposed update-scripts translate them to regular
configuration files and run Thomas' scripts afterwards, and tie in
with dpkg-reconfigure too. Or am I getting it all wrong? Since I
install teTeX from source, I am not familiar with the way Debian
currently configures teTeX.

--
Siep Kroonenberg