[tex-live] Re: TeX Live 2004 distribution

Karl Berry karl at freefriends.org
Thu Mar 31 00:52:44 CEST 2005

Hi Anita,

    etc. have been compiled without the -R option or I am guessing in
    previous distribution this was statically bound rather than dynamic. As

Ugh.  Very sorry to hear about these problems.  We did many, many
iterations on the binaries to try to minimize this stuff.

Let me mention that the binaries on the CD also triggered (as usual) a
compiler bug.  You can get new binaries, for Solaris 2.8, from
http://tug.org/texlive/tl2004-sparc-solaris.tgz

I don't know if their behavior will be different than the ones on the
CD, but it might be worth a try.

    you can't even point to a newer version if you have that installed
    rather than the older version it appears to require.

Are we talking about libgcc_s?  I thought we statically linked that.
Guess we ended up not doing so, how unfortunate (I sure wish the gcc
people had never invented that library).  In any case, unless the major
version is different (highly doubtful), a newer lib should certainly
work.  Very weird.  I know we did not do anything particularly special
to try to require very particular versions of anything.

    provide specific documentation on how it is intended to work?

Sadly, there is no "specific documentation" at hand because the
intention was that it would "just work".  Sigh.  How frustrating.

It will take me some time to investigate all the details.  Perhaps
Maksym (who made the binaries on the CD with gcc 3.3.3, as I recall) or
Vladimir (who made the new ones, with a slightly newer gcc, as I recall)
or someone else can look at it as well.

Sorry for the trouble.

karl