[tex-implementors] Re: [tex-live] LM as the default outline font?

Frank Küster frank at kuesterei.ch
Tue Mar 29 14:42:40 CEST 2005

Staszek Wawrykiewicz <staw at gust.org.pl> wrote:

> On Thu, 24 Mar 2005, [iso-8859-1] Frank Küster wrote:
>
>> I don't know much about these things, but it seems that there are still
>> uncorrected errors in 0.982.  Florent Rougon, maintainer of lmodern in
>> Debian, wrote:
>>
>> ,----
>> | 0.982 is out there and the fontdimens in the lmtt TFM files are still
>> | wrong. Not to mention the unfortunate version number and the material
>> | being shipped in ZIP archives. :-/
>> `----

[...]
> Don't know why 0.982 is "unfortunate version number". Should all the world
> follow Debian conventions?

I don't think these are only Debian conventions.  For a starter, a Linux
Kernel version of 2.6.11 is higher than 2.6.2, while 2.6.1.1 (or
2.6.1-ac1) would be lower.  And there *is* software around with version
numbers in the three-digit-area: My less is v.382, Perl modules seem to
have such version numbers frequently (libconvert-binhex-perl: 1.119-2,
libgtk-perl: 0.7009-2).

There might be differences in what one regards as a number-separator:
Only the full stop, full stop and dash, or also other characters.  But I
think it is common that everything that is not separated by such a
separator is regarded as one number; and then 0.982 is larger than 0.99,
anyway.

Regards, Frank
--
Frank Küster