[tex-live] "I can't find the format file `latex.fmt'!"

Karl Berry karl at freefriends.org
Thu Jul 28 01:55:10 CEST 2005

Greetings Germain,

    I can't find the format file `latex.fmt'!

I am no expert on Windows, but since no one else has replied --
try running
  mktexfmt latex
or
  fmtutil latex
and hopefully it will be able to create it and put it in the right.

Although the .fmt's are supposed to be created on the fly as you need
them, it seems that is not working for some reason.

Ultimately I believe there needs to be a file latex.fmt in your
texmf/web2c directory, under wherever you installed TL.  Perhaps
c:\tex\texmf\web2c\latex.fmt judging from your prompt. If all else
fails, you might be able to create it by hand:
  cd c:\wherever
  pdfetex -ini   -jobname=latex -progname=latex -translate-file=cp227.tcx *latex.ini

Hope this helps,
karl