[tex-live] Re: Debian TeX live packages are ready for testing

Frank Küster frank at kuesterei.ch
Wed Jul 20 18:23:29 CEST 2005

Norbert Preining <preining at logic.at> wrote:

> Dear Arne!
>
> On Mit, 20 Jul 2005, Arne Jørgensen wrote:
>> Okay. This is so exciting I just had to try :-)
>
> Thanks for trying out, I comment:
>
>> 1. `texlive-basic' conflicts with Debians `texinfo' package because
>>    the file /usr/share/texmf/tex/generic/dvips/epsf.tex is in both
>>    packages (I just purged texinfo and proceeded).
>>
>> 2. Now I wanted to install `texlive-texinfo' but this conflicts with
>>    Debians `info' packages because the file
>>    /usr/share/man/man1/info.1.gz is in both packages (I just purged
>>    info and proceeded).
>
> I know, in the next version there will be txlive-texinfo which does not
> include the info program, and which conflicts with texinfo.

That's good news - the texinfo package seems to lack an active
maintainer, anyway; and if we would get a usable, fairly recent version
into Debian this way it would be great.  As far as I can see, most of
the bugs in the texinfo package are actually upstream issues, so you'd
have some communication work to do, but not much packaging problems.  If
it turns out that texlive-texinfo is better than the current Debian
package, I'd suggest to either take it (or just its name) over, or
cooperate with the maintainer should he still be willing to do some work
on it.

Regards, Frank
--
Frank Küster