[tex-live] vntex INSTALL file

Reinhard Kotucha reinhard.kotucha at web.de
Tue Jul 5 01:28:55 CEST 2005

Hi,
at the moment I'm writing an INSTALL file for vntex.  It is
supposed to be used by people who want to install vntex on a system
which doesn't provide vntex-3.0 yet (for instance TL-2004).

I assume that it's best to put everything into a separate directory,
say $HOME/texmf-vntex or /usr/local/share/texmf-vntex or c:\texmf-vntex.

The reason is that they want to remove this directory if they upgrade
their TeX distribution.

I want to keep things as easy as possible.

The easiest way is to set TEXINPUTS and make use of the colon which
expands to the original value of TEXINPUTS, for instance

   TEXINPUTS=$HOME/texmf-vntex:  or  TEXINPUTS=c:\texmf-vntex:

This should work under Windows, the kpathsea manual says that colons
are expanded if they are either the first or the last character of the
string.

Can anyone confirm that "TEXINPUTS=c:\texmf-vntex:" works under
Windows?  I can't test it.

Thanh provided tfm files for the Microsoft core fonts (Arial,
Verdana...).  It would be nice if TTFONTS can point to
c:\windows\fonts but `colon expansion' cannot be used with the
variable TTFONTS.  It seems that it works with TEXINPUTS only.

Is there a way to set an environment variable under Windows so that
TrueType fonts are found under c:\texmf-vntex *AND* the original value
of TTFONTS?

Another solution would be to convince people to create their own
texmf.cnf and set TEXMFCNF appropriately, but I fear that I then have
to explain too much.  It seems that `colon expansion' doesn't work
there.

Any ideas?

Regards,
  Reinhard