[tex-live] dvips cannot find figures

Gerben Wierda Gerben.Wierda at rna.nl
Wed Dec 28 16:58:46 CET 2005

On 28 Dec 2005, at 12:31, Lars Madsen wrote:

>> In the dvips info manual, the very short description for z only says
>> that it is the same as the commandline switch -R, and there you
>> have the
>> explanation.  But you are right, it should also be in config.ps.
>>

> And I think it sould have been in the TeXLive documentation, since
> this is something that has changed from last year.

I discussed this (with Karl I think) a while back and proposed a
change. Currently, not only absolute paths are not permitted but also
relative paths going up. That plays havoc with people having layouts
like

.../chapters
.../images

because the inclusions would be of the form ../images/foo.eps

I suggested that default behaviour would accept relative but not
absolute paths (as these can be used to read system information in a
reliable way) and of course not the shell escapes.

I still have to make that change to dvips, but I will when we have
moved away from p4.

Unless of course everybody else thinks this is a bad idea.