[tex-live] Perl scripts on Win32

gnwiii at gmail.com gnwiii at gmail.com
Sat Dec 17 02:54:02 CET 2005

Not all the commonly used perl scripts in the texmf tree have corresponding
.exe files in bin/win32.  For those lucky enough to avoid Win32, irun is
a wrapper that is used to create filename.exe to run perl on
"kpathsea -format=texmfscripts filename".

1.  irun.exe must be writable.  In the default install it is not.

2.  pdfcrop.exe (e.g., texmf/scripts/pdfcrop/pdfcrop.pl) complains
of missing Functions.pm with the following code:

  use File::Spec::Functions qw(devnull);
  $my $null = devnull();

The code below for me on Win XP with the TL2005 perl, and in Fedora Core 4
(perl-5.8.6-18) but I have no idea how portable this is:

  use File::Spec;
  my $null = File::Spec->devnull();
Head of St. Margarets Bay, Nova Scotia