[tex-live] cslatex not working / pdfcslatex working ?

Morten Høgholm moho01ab at student.cbs.dk
Thu Dec 15 13:16:39 CET 2005

Karl Berry wrote:
>     \Gm at checkdrivers ...fined \else \ifnum \pdfoutput
>
> In what file does this code appear?  (Sorry, I can't balance the parens
> in the transcript backwards and be sure.)  And what does the surrounding
> code look like?

\Gm at checkdrivers is from geometry.sty, which contains the following test:

\def\Gm at checkdrivers{%
   \ifx\pdfpagewidth\@undefined\else
     \ifnum\pdfoutput=\@ne
       \Gm at setdriver{pdftex}%
     \fi
   \fi
  ...}

I contacted Hideo Umeki in late October and he agreed to change the
pdftests to use the ifpdf package instead.

However, the real culprit is the cslatex.ini file in TL2005. It ends
with the following bit of code:

\ifx\pdfoutput\undefined \else % added in Feb. 2005
    \catcode`\{=1  \catcode`\}=2
    \def\tmpa{\pdfcslatex}
    \expandafter\def\expandafter\tmpb\expandafter{\csname\jobname\endcsname}
    \ifx\tmpa\tmpb %% PDFTeX with PDF output
       \message {jobname=pdfcslatex, PDF output initialised.}
       \openin0=pdftexconfig.tex
       \ifeof0 \message{WARNING: pdftexconfig.tex does not exist.
                        I set \string\pdfoutput=1 only.}%
       \else \closein0 \input pdftexconfig.tex
       \fi
       \pdfoutput=1
    \else
       \message {jobname=cslatex with pdftex, DVI output initialised.}
       \pdfoutput=0
       \let\oripdfoutput=\pdfoutput \let\pdfoutput=\undefined
    \fi
    \let\tmpa=\undefined \let\tmpb=\undefined
    \catcode`\{=12
\fi

I don't see why this
   \let\oripdfoutput=\pdfoutput \let\pdfoutput=\undefined
is needed.

By comparison, the cslatex.ini file on my Mac (using gwTeX) starts out
with this:

\ifx\pdfoutput\undefined
\else
   \ifx\pdfoutput\relax