[tex-live] Live CD

Sebastian Rahtz sebastian.rahtz at oucs.ox.ac.uk
Wed Dec 14 00:46:20 CET 2005

Peter Flynn wrote:

> I have had a number of enquiries from users with older equipment
> (no DVD drive) about whether it is possible to extract and burn a
> Live CD because their admins have the machines locked down tight
> and they can't install MikTeX -- but they could run from CD.

you mean just TeX,  or the whole OS?

> Failing that, has anyone done a run-from-USB distro? Or tested
> having a complete system installed on a USB drive?

A colleague and I gave a 2 hour talk last night using my laptop
booted into Knoppix from a USB key. Works a treat. IFFF your
machine can boot from USB, which your users probably can't.

But why not just talk to the admins? doing things underhand
will just lead to tears.

--
Sebastian Rahtz

http://www.oss-watch.ac.uk