[tex-live] Problem with T1 encoding and Type1 fonts

Werner LEMBERG wl at gnu.org
Fri Aug 26 17:52:48 CEST 2005

> it is far better to avoid such silent degradation of quality and
> insist on user to use proper fonts: be it 10pt-only scaled ON TEX
> LEVEL cm-super fonts (with \usepackage[10pt]{type1ec}), or
> limited-size set of cm-super fonts (with \usepackage{fix-cm}) or LM
> fonts (with \usepackage{lmodern}).

I second that.  People who use TeXLive should have a look into the
README file to see TeXLive's font limitations, and how to circumvent
them.  We have to decide whether it is more important to have many
packages at the cost of less font files, or vice versa.

I wonder whether we shall create a fourth texmf tree (besides `texmf',
`texmf-dist', and `texmf-doc'), say, `texmf-dvd', which holds extra
stuff not available on the CD release due to space limitations.  This
would be the right place for the missing cm-super and cbgreek PFB
files, bold CJK fonts, etc, etc.

    Werner