[tex-live] XGrabServer

Karl Berry karl at freefriends.org
Sun Aug 21 15:19:54 CEST 2005

    A real solution would have this fixed in xdvik such that the order of
    X11 libs is correct for non shared libraries.

The X library order is a constant source of problems, since different
vendors require different things.

Here is what the comment in xdvik/Makefile.in says:
# Follow the library order used in X11R6 itself.
# It seems that on Cygwin, libXaw needs _XpmReadFileToPixmap, so we put
# x_xpm_libs last.
# Xmu needs to come before Xt and after the toolkit libs.

>From your earlier message, the order you're getting is:

    libt1.a ../../libs/t1lib/../type1/libtype1.a -L/usr/X11R6/lib -lXaw
    -lXmu -lXt -lSM -lICE -lXp -lXext -lX11 -L/usr/lib -liconv -lXpm
     ../kpathsea/.libs/libkpathsea.a -lm

>From which I surmise that the *GrabServer functions are in -lXpm on
macosx.  Is that correct?  If you try manually linking with -lXpm just
before -lX11, does it work?

If so, it should be straightforward to change the order in the Makefile,
but there's no sense reautoconfiscating unless we know the result will
work for you.

(The comment above implies -lXpm has to come after -lXaw for Cygwin, but
not after -lX11.)

Thanks,
karl