[tex-live] Re: TL binary builds?

Karl Berry karl at freefriends.org
Fri Aug 19 16:08:01 CEST 2005

Hi Vladimir,

    i'll try to submit sparc-solaris, sparc64-linux and powerpc-aix
    in the next few days.

Excellent, thanks.

    currently we have this inconsistent situation:

Well, it was inconsistent only because there is no decent way to give a
version number for linux.

    rename sparc64-linux to sparc-linux (that's because actually all
    the binaries are 32-bit):

Then it should certainly be renamed :).

    (and we don't need the symlinks with version numbers). i can do the
    necessary changes (including in the install scripts) if you approve.

>From the point of view of maintaining the scripts, it sounds good, I'd
love to get rid of the version numbers hardwired in there, they are a
pain.

Only thing is, sometimes it is useful to know on what os version,
specifically, the binaries were built (for bug reports, etc.).  So how
about if everyone doing builds records that, and I'll put the list into
the documentation or a README or something.  I'm thinking of the output
of uname -a, gcc -v (or whatever compiler), and anything else useful.
That will do a better job than the version numbers in the bin directories.

How does that sound?

Thanks much,
Karl