[tex-live] Re: TL binary builds?

Vladimir Volovich vvv at vsu.ru
Fri Aug 19 12:14:01 CEST 2005

"KB" == Karl Berry writes:

> i386-linux (i386 Linux)		Staszek
> i386_64-linux				Tigran
> powerpc-darwin6.3 (MacOSX)		Gerben
> win32 (32-bit Windows)		Fabrice
> alpha-linux (HP Alpha Linux)		Norbert
> i386-freebsd (i386 FreeBSD)		Manfred
> i386-openbsd (i386 OpenBSD)		Sebastian
> mips-irix (SGI IRIX)			Olaf
> powerpc-aix (IBM RS/6000 AIX)		Vladimir
> sparc-solaris (Sun Sparc Solaris)	Vladimir/Maksym
> sparc64-linux (Sparc Linux)		Vladimir

i'll try to submit sparc-solaris, sparc64-linux and powerpc-aix
in the next few days.

i have a suggestion re directory names in the Master/bin directory:

currently we have this inconsistent situation:

drwxr-xr-x alpha-linux
lrwxrwxrwx i386-freebsd -> i386-freebsd4.10
drwxr-xr-x i386-freebsd4.10
drwxr-xr-x i386-linux
lrwxrwxrwx mips-irix -> mips-irix6.5
drwxr-xr-x mips-irix6.5
lrwxrwxrwx powerpc-aix -> powerpc-aix4.3.3.0
drwxr-xr-x powerpc-aix4.3.3.0
lrwxrwxrwx powerpc-darwin -> powerpc-darwin6.8
drwxr-xr-x powerpc-darwin6.8
drwxr-xr-x sparc64-linux
lrwxrwxrwx sparc-solaris -> sparc-solaris2.7
drwxr-xr-x sparc-solaris2.7
drwxr-xr-x win32
drwxr-xr-x win32-static
drwxr-xr-x x86_64-linux

i.e. for some platforms, there's a version number in directory name
and a symlink without a version number; and in some platforms the
directory with binaries doesn't contain version number, and neither
there's a symlink.

i suggest to not use version numbers in all cases, and also rename
sparc64-linux to sparc-linux (that's because actually all the binaries
are 32-bit):

drwxr-xr-x alpha-linux
drwxr-xr-x i386-freebsd
drwxr-xr-x i386-linux
drwxr-xr-x mips-irix
drwxr-xr-x powerpc-aix
drwxr-xr-x powerpc-darwin
drwxr-xr-x sparc-linux
drwxr-xr-x sparc-solaris
drwxr-xr-x win32
drwxr-xr-x win32-static
drwxr-xr-x x86_64-linux

(and we don't need the symlinks with version numbers). i can do the
necessary changes (including in the install scripts) if you approve.
what do you think?

Best,
v.