[tex-live] libstdc++.so.6

Frank Küster frank at kuesterei.ch
Sun Aug 14 11:46:04 CEST 2005

karl at freefriends.org (Karl Berry) wrote:

> Since we have always distributed the lcdftools binaries dynamically
> linked before, I am inclined to just keep doing that, despite it being
> suboptimal.  At least when Staszek builds the binaries, it will be
> against libstdc++ v5 instead of v6.

There's one more problem:  C++ code compiled with Gcc-3.3 and older is
not binary-compatible with C++ code compiled with gcc-4.0 (and I think
3.4, too).  Debian is just making both transitions (libstdc++ v5 to v6,
gcc-3.3 to gcc-4.0) together, and other distros might have done or will
do the same.

So it might turn out that even when you use v5 to allow running on older
systems, people won't be able to use it on newer systems where v5 is
still available, but has been recompiled with a newer gcc.

I'm not really familiar with these things, but I can look up some pages
explaing this, although somewhat Debian-specific, in my bookmarks.

Regards, Frank
--
Frank Küster
Inst. f. Biochemie der Univ. Zürich