[tex-live] clash on $HOME/.texmf-var/web2c between TL2005 and other packages

Norbert Preining preining at logic.at
Mon Aug 8 01:10:17 CEST 2005

On Son, 07 Aug 2005, Sebastian Rahtz wrote:
> >create generated formats in $HOME/.texmf-var/web2c, so when the .pool files
> >differ you get errors when switching between packages.  I'm used to switching
> >between TeX packages pretty dynamically using environment modules to manage the
> >PATH setting.  The simple fix is to change texmf.cnf to use something like
> >$HOME/.tl2005/texmf-var, etc.
> >

> personally, I don't think TL should work around things as you
> suggest. it would be much better to NOT mix and match binaries,
> surely?

I can only support Sebastians comment, and if you really need to do this
kind of switching, make the change in texmf.cnf yourself.

Best wishes

Norbert

sip:preining at at43.tuwien.ac.at                             +43 (0) 59966-690018
`Maybe somebody here tipped off the Galactic Police,' said
Trillian. `Everybody saw you come in.'
`You mean they want to arrest me over the phone?' said
Zaphod, `Could be. I'm a pretty dangerous dude when I'm
cornered.'
`Yeah,' said a voice from under the table [Ford's now
completely rat- arsed at this point], `you go to pieces so
fast people get hit by the shrapnel.'
                 --- Zaphod getting paranoid over a phone call.