[tex-live] Re: German exception wordlist

Werner LEMBERG wl at gnu.org
Fri Aug 5 15:40:09 CEST 2005

> -- as dehyphtex.tex is ISO-Latin1 encoded file this may end
>    in portability problem when using different input encoding.

Actually, it uses T1 encoding.

>    I'd suggest as a temporary solution

The temporary solution *is* to use dehyphtex.tex :-)

>    a) making new version of dehypht.tex such that dehyphtex.tex is
>    converted to additional patterns in such a way that
>    -- . is addres to the both beginning and end of every word exception
>    -- 8 is added at the wrong positions
>    -- 7 is added at the good positions.
>    or
>    b) using patgen with dehypht.tex patterns and dehyphtex list as
>    input and generationg two new passes covering the new words
>    (slightly more tricky but more space effective solution than a)).

Both suggestions sound interesting, but I don't have time to do that.
The list of exceptions currently available in dehyphtex.tex is only
about 20% of what I already have collected meanwhile -- due to more
urgent work I can't continue right now.

> -- people would not have to think of adding dehyphtex.tex into
>    every German document

Well, there is still the unsolved problem how to tag hyphenation
pattern versions uniformly...

    Werner