[tex-live] Re: Packaging SourceFiles for TeX live/Debian

Frank Küster frank at debian.org
Tue Aug 2 17:36:01 CEST 2005

Norbert Preining <preining at logic.at> wrote:

> Well, this is something I can not answer at the moment. I am not a
> proper DD, I want to submit this stuff `as close as possible to the
> original TeX live' to Debian.
>
> I don't want any split at all. But there are some requirements, at least
> in the documentation I have read. Maybe, as the saying goes in german,
> `it is less hot eaten then cooked', these things are not important, but
> a priori I don't know.

If you tell a possible sponsor (the DD that does the upload): "We have
discussed these lintian errors/warnings on the upstream mailing list,
and decided that I will not fix them without discussing the changes
needed with the 'real' upstream authors." I don't think anybody will
refuse to upload based on these lintian errors.

> I have to submit it up-upstream as I would say.
>
> BUt to calm everybody down: Here are the two patches I have, up to now,
> used as dpatches. SO everybody can see what I am talking about, and
> maybe that we are ATM loosing much more time over trivialities then
> necessary:
> texmf-dist/fonts/source/public/wsuipa/compilefonts
> 	Comment the part that describes the shell script. THis is
> 	a shell script with a long description at the end. I have
> 	only put comment signs in front of the description

The script doesn't need the comment signs, because it has a "exit 0"
statement before that?  In this case I'd say lintian is wrong, and I'd
use an override.  At least I'm not sure whether I would accept such a
patch if I were upstream.

> and these three files are not included into a debian package (but are
> present in the debian source package)
> file:texmf-dist/source/latex/splitindex/splitindex-Linux-i386:BLACKLIST:
> file:texmf-dist/source/latex/splitindex/splitindex-OpenBSD-i386:BLACKLIST:
> file:texmf-dist/source/latex/splitindex/splitindex.exe:BLACKLIST:

If it is only deleted in the binary package, it's a Debian-specific
issue anyway that doesn't need any upstream change.

> With these changes I get all the arch=all packages lintian clean (at
> least what errors concerns). THere are a lot of warning I will work on
> next.
>
>> If you detected it and prepared patches, you've done a good part of the
>> work.  Somebody else can take over.  It would be good to keep a list of
>
> Patches will accumulate in
> 	DEPOT/Master/debian/dpatch/<collection-name>
> and everybody is invited to contact upstream ;-)

I was thinking more of a list sorted by directories on CTAN or the
like.  So that when I'm going to write the author of wordcount.tex, I can
see on a single browser page that I should tell him about the strange
path in wordcount.sh - without clicking through patches against various
debian packages.

Regards, Frank
--
Frank Küster