[tex-live] Re: Packaging SourceFiles for TeX live/Debian

Frank Küster frank at debian.org
Tue Aug 2 15:58:58 CEST 2005

Norbert Preining <preining at logic.at> wrote:

> Is it necessary to remove the stuff from the .orig.tar.gz? I would
> prefer to leave it in the .orig.tar.gz (why: it is generated by simply
> copying all files referenced in the current tpm to the .orig directory.
> Exceptions are only taken into account at package build time), but
> exclude it from the binary .deb.
>
> Is this possible, too? Is it allowed to have precompiled binaries in
> debian .orig.tar.gz?

It is allowed, at least if it is possible to compile them from the
sources themselves, which is obviously the case.  The suggestion to
remove it is just a safeguard to prevent accidental "successful" package
building.  I would really do it; if not in the orig.tar.gz (which seems
sensible), then in the clean target.

>> It doesn't matter as long as somebody pesters upstream to fix them in
>> their sources and on CTAn, too.
>
> ;-) For now I don't want to discuss this with up-up-stream (not TeX
> live, but with the authors). I leave it as dpatch in debian.

If you detected it and prepared patches, you've done a good part of the
work.  Somebody else can take over.  It would be good to keep a list of
patched packages somewhere.  Thus, if we contact upstream anyway, say
because of a LaTeX problem in their package, we can notify them of this
problem, too.

Regards, Frank
--
Frank Küster