[tex-live] updmap.cfg (and fmtutil.cnf)

Olaf Weber olaf at infovore.xs4all.nl
Tue Sep 14 22:17:07 CEST 2004

Gerben Wierda writes:

>> I'd rather not see them installed from the source tree, for the same
>> reason I'd rather not see texmf.cnf installed from the source tree.
>> The versions we want are likely to be somewhat specific to TeX-live.

> Certainly, but a 'make install' should work in a clean situation (it
> always did thusfar, including the creation of a texmf.cnf and a
> fmtutil.cnf). 'Make install' tries to run updmap and thus 'make
> install' needs a updmap.cfg (the same as with fmtutil). As it is now,
> a 'make install' on my system fails because I run this in a 100% clean
> environment.

Ok.  What I do to compile TeX-live is make sure that links to
texmf-dist (and texmf-doc) ara available, as well as a copy (writable)
of texmf and texmf-var.  This makes the compilation go smoothly.

A completely clean texmf will be lacking certain files, at present (in
particular, I think, the tcx files and updmap.cfg).

Note that I have no intention whatsoever of going back to shipping the
tcx files in the web2c source tarballs.  But arguably these should be
moved into texmf-dist/web2c (which currently doesn't exist at all).

For the config files that _can_ be installed from the source tree,
something like the code for texmf.cnf may be appropriate:

        if grep 'original texmf.cnf --' $(web2cdir)/texmf.cnf >/dev/null 2>&1 \
           || test ! -r $(web2cdir)/texmf.cnf; then \
          $(INSTALL_DATA) texmf.cnf $(web2cdir)/texmf.cnf; \
        else true; fi

--
Olaf Weber