[tex-live] Bug in updmap?!

Vladimir Volovich vvv at vsu.ru
Thu Oct 28 08:54:54 CEST 2004

 >    This kind of syntax is weird.

 KB> Well, whitespace between option names and values predates
 KB> --opt=value by a good many years and is the standard in POSIX,
 KB> etc.  (Not that I like it, myself.)

In this case, we pass two "values" to the --enable option: map type
(Map or MixedMap) and map file name:
  --enable Map foo.map

 >    Perl has getopt().

 KB> Yes, and Perl getopt supports "--opt value" as well as
 KB> "--opt=value".  I believe Vladimir's original bug report shows
 KB> that this is not the problem, although I can't investigate for
 KB> sure.

It was not my original bug report (it was Rainer Klueting
<rainer at klueting.de>). I just intervened in the discussion, pointing
out that Fabrice's ported updmap.pl is incompatible with unix updmap.

 KB> Furthermore, it appears to me that the original updmap shell
 KB> script also supports "--opt value" and "--opt=value".

No. It only supports one syntax with spaces.

 KB> So as far as this minor detail goes, I think everything is ok.

It caused confusion to a user who wanted to call updmap on windows the
same way as he used to call it on unix (updmap --enable Map xyz.map),
but that did not work because of incompatible syntax.

 KB> (And I agree with your implied suggestion that it would be better
 KB> if we all used the same code that could run on any platform.
 KB> Meanwhile, life is short.)

Best,
v.