[tex-live] initex '&FORMAT' with whizzytex

David Kastrup dak at gnu.org
Fri Oct 22 14:25:16 CEST 2004

Olaf Weber <olaf at infovore.xs4all.nl> writes:

> Stefano Lodi writes:
>
>> There must be something terribly wrong with my installations (I tried
>> TeXLive on two different systems, user the same iso file for both
>> installations).  Here's what I get:
>
>> /usr/local/TeXLive/bin/i386-linux> ./pdfetex '&latex'
>> This is pdfeTeXk, Version 3.141592-1.11a-2.1 (Web2C 7.5.2)
>>  %&-line parsing enabled.
>>  (/usr/local/TeXLive/texmf/web2c/cp8bit.tcx)
>> (Fatal format file error; I'm stymied)
>
> This almost certainly means pdfetex is not the engine for which the
> latex format was created (it will be in the upcoming TeX-live).  You
> may want to verify to which engine the latex symlink points, and use
> that one.

We basically had the same problem with preview-latex, which also uses
predumped formats.  The only reliable way with a web2c-based system of
the last years to dump and restore a format I have found is to use

latex -ini '&latex' whatever '\dump'

and then

latex '&whatever' ...

resp.

pdflatex -ini '&pdflatex' whatever '\dump'

pdflatex '&whatever'

Anything else will cause problem with one or the other format/engine
combination from the last few years.

You might want to report that suggestion to the author of WhizzyTeX
(as a friendly hint from the competition).