[tex-live] TL2004: adding a map to pdftex only

Hans Hagen pragma at wxs.nl
Tue Oct 19 12:26:02 CEST 2004

Thomas Esser wrote:

>>\pdfmapfile{+myfonts.map}
>>in your document
>

> With dvips and (old) pdftex, it was possible to set up fonts globally
> on the system in a way that does not affect documents.  Now, if we add
> such things into documents, it will make them less portable.

normally fonts (that is, commercial ones) cannot be distributed and
therefore the docs are not portable in more than one aspect

> I thought that it would at least be possible to use pdftexconfig.tex and
> to store the information about map files in the format. While this is
> already a step back (format generation time vs. document processing time),
> it did not even work in my tests. Adding
>
>   \catcode`\{=1
>   \catcode`\}=2
>   \pdfmapfile{+foo.map}
>   \catcode`\{=12
>   \catcode`\}=12
>
> to pdftexconfig.tex did not cause foo.map to be read (neither at format
> generation time nor while processing a document using the new format).

that's a question for hartmut who knows the dirty bits of map loading

> Does this mean, that we can only define the map files in the documents
> and no longer anywhere outside? Or, does it mean that updmap will be
> the only way to set up fonts globally for pdftex?

a macro package can load a default file, for instance:

\everyjob{\input localfonts.map\relax}

(preferably with some test if the file is present)

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE